Never use a washing machine or dryer to clean your STEP 22 Gear. Using machines can cause permanent damage and will also void your warranty.
1) Open all compartments and make sure the bag is free of all items and loose debris.
2) Use a bathtub, large sink, or find a suitable large plastic bucket.
3) IMPORTANT: Avoid fully submerging the bag (interior liners and padding can become soaked and can be difficult to dry). Never use high-pressure water. Do not use harsh chemicals such as bleach, solvents, or strong cleaning agents.
4) Use a damp rag or washcloth and warm running water to remove light dirt and grime from the surfaces of your bag. Light agitation with a soft rag or soft-bristled brush can help break down stubborn grime. Do not use abrasive scrubbers like Scotch Brite pads or stiff-bristled brushes as they will permanently damage the fabric. Heavily soiled items can be cleaned with a solution of water and a small amount of mild soap (well diluted) such as Dr. Bronner's 18-in-1, Woolite, Nikwax, or similar cleaner.
5) Make sure to fully rinse away all soap with running water (never use high-pressure water).
6) Air dry only in a well-ventilated area. Never dry in direct sunlight. Never use a dryer such as a clothes dryer or hairdryer. Multilayer bags and bags with padding can take much longer to dry (this is also why you should avoid fully submerging your bag). Make sure your bag is completely dry before storing or using it again. Storing a damp or wet bag in a non-ventilated area such as a vehicle, storage closet, or other tight space can result in mold and mildew.